The proprietor of “The Inverness Advertiser” was James McCosh. McCosh came from Dundee where he had conducted “The Northern Warder”. The first number of the “Advertiser” appeared on 19 June 1849, McCosh dying a few months later. After his death it was carried on for his interest, Thomas Mulock, the father of Mrs Craik, the author of John Halifax Gentleman acting as editor for a while. In 1850 it was purchased by George Frances of Silverwells, and continued in various hands until December 1885, when the copyright was bought by “The Inverness Courier”. It was a Free Church paper.