Holding Institutions

London BL

Institution's nameLondon, British Library
CountryGB
ISILGB-Uk
Address96, Euston Road - London NW1 2DB
Homepagewww.bl.uk
MARC Organisation CodeUk-ES
Note1973. The British Library was established on 1 July, after the British Library Act (27 July 1971) set up a national library for the UK by administratively combining various institutions including: the library departments of the British Museum (which included the National Reference Library of Science and Invention), the National Central Library, and the National Lending Library for Science and Technology (the centre for interlibrary lending, located at Boston Spa in Yorkshire). In 1974 the British National Bibliography and the Office for Scientific and Technical Information became part of the BL, as did, in the following decade, the India Office Library and Records (1982) and the British Institute of Recorded Sound (1983). The vast majority of the BL’s current holdings of incunabula were part of the British Museum Library, whose stamp was not substituted; the BL stamp has been applied, as well as, of course, to incunabula acquired after 1973, also retrospectively to books in which there was no visible evidence of British Museum ownership. Continuity is also shown by the title of the catalogue, which has maintained the standard abbreviation BMC (British Museum Catalogue) for the volumes XI-XIII which were published after 1973 under the title of “Catalogue of books published in the 15th century now in the British Library”.
See: P.H. Harris, A History of the British Museum Library 1753-1973. London: The British Library, 1998; Libraries within the Library. The origins of the British Library's printed collections, ed. by G. Mandelbrote and B. Taylor. London: The British Library, 2009; http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/quickinfo/facts/history/ [A. Panzanelli].
Last Edit2019-01-23 10:03:33

London BL

Institution's nameLondon, British Library
CountryGB
ISILGB-Uk
Address96, Euston Road - London NW1 2DB
Homepagewww.bl.uk
MARC Organisation CodeUk-ES
Note1973. The British Library was established on 1 July, after the British Library Act (27 July 1971) set up a national library for the UK by administratively combining various institutions including: the library departments of the British Museum (which included the National Reference Library of Science and Invention), the National Central Library, and the National Lending Library for Science and Technology (the centre for interlibrary lending, located at Boston Spa in Yorkshire). In 1974 the British National Bibliography and the Office for Scientific and Technical Information became part of the BL, as did, in the following decade, the India Office Library and Records (1982) and the British Institute of Recorded Sound (1983). The vast majority of the BL’s current holdings of incunabula were part of the British Museum Library, whose stamp was not substituted; the BL stamp has been applied, as well as, of course, to incunabula acquired after 1973, also retrospectively to books in which there was no visible evidence of British Museum ownership. Continuity is also shown by the title of the catalogue, which has maintained the standard abbreviation BMC (British Museum Catalogue) for the volumes XI-XIII which were published after 1973 under the title of “Catalogue of books published in the 15th century now in the British Library”.
See: P.H. Harris, A History of the British Museum Library 1753-1973. London: The British Library, 1998; Libraries within the Library. The origins of the British Library's printed collections, ed. by G. Mandelbrote and B. Taylor. London: The British Library, 2009; http://www.bl.uk/aboutus/quickinfo/facts/history/ [A. Panzanelli].
Last Edit2019-01-23 10:03:33